Postdoctoral positions in computational biology in Francesco Ferrari’s group
ABOUT THE POSITIONS
We are looking for postdoctoral researchers candidates with expertise in computational biology to join the Computational Genomics group at IFOM, Milan, Italy.
We are especially looking for outstanding motivated ambitious candidates, with a proven track record of experience and publications in the field of genomics and computational biology, interested in working in an international and competitive research environment.
The successful candidate will work primarily on the analysis of genomics data: namely genome-wide data obtained by high throughput sequencing based techniques, including gene expression (e.g. RNA-seq, single cell RNA-seq), chromatin marks (e.g. ChIP-seq), chromatin 3D architecture (e.g. Hi-C) and whole genome sequencing data. The development of new methods and tools for data analysis is expected to be part of the postdoctoral research activity as well. English is the working language at IFOM.
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Altered enhancer-genes regulatory network in cancer. We are working on the characterization of non-coding mutations in cancer altering the complex regulatory network of genes and their non-coding regulatory elements (promoters and enhancers).
- Heterochromatin alterations in aging and diseases. Together with a collaborator we are working on a novel experimental technique for characterizing chromatin accessibility in different normal and pathological conditions. We are applying it to study heterochromatin structure changes in aging and diseases.
- Chromatin architecture data analysis methods. We are working on novel computational biology methods for the analysis of functional genomics data, in particular for epigenetics marks (ChIP-seq data) and 3D chromatin architecture (Hi-C data).
- Single cells resolution definition of transcriptional circuits. Together with collaborators we are leveraging single cells genomics data to identify transcriptional and epigenetics regulatory modules activated in different processes with heterogeneous or rare cell sub-populations. For example characterizing tumor infiltrating immune cells or, in other projects, the circuits governing cell identity and pluripotency.
Type of Contract: Postdoctoral or PhD research fellowship, depending on the candidate level of expertise
Location: IFOM, Milan, Italy
- PhD or equivalent degree in Bioinformatics, Statistics, Biophysics, Computer Science, Molecular Biology or other related fields.
- Track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Previous research experience in the field of genomics and computational biology
- Experience in functional genomics data analysis and especially in Next Generation Sequencing data
- Proficiency in scripting environments for statistics and data analysis (preferentially R/Bioconductor, or alternatively Matlab)
- Proficiency in at least one scripting or programming language (PERL, Python or C/C++)
- Excellent communication skills (English is the working language at the institute)
ADDITIONAL DESIRED SKILLS
- Research experience in an interdisciplinary environment
- Previous work experience in an international/multi-cultural environment
- Strong publication track record
- Expertise in statistical methods and algorithms development in the context of biological systems
WHAT WE OFFER
- An international and interdisciplinary research environment
- An internationally competitive salary commensurate with the experience level of the candidates
- Dedicated support for settling in Milan by "IFOM welcome office" for foreign national research scholars
To apply send your cover letter, complete CV and contact information for at least two academic references to francesco.ferrari[@]ifom.eu with ‘[POSTDOC POSITION]’ and your name in the subject line.